Calculating a sell price in edit field without using a formula field

I m putting together a sub file for quote line items and looking at the ninox invoice template it basically a qty*price construct on a formula field to cal the sell price which is fine. But i want to expand this.

However, I want to have the following fields Qty, Cost, Mkup% , Sell, ExtSell etc. Thus I want to calculate the Cost * Mkup% to give me the SellPrice - which i can do by using a formula field for the SellPrice.

However i also want to overtype this sellprice if i don't like the calculated suggestion (without having to keep adjusting margin % field, so if the calc comes to say £2.99 I want to change the sell price to one i prefer. (and then ideally if doable, have the margin% change to reflect the true percentage that would now exist.

As one can't edit a formula field in data entry mode. I need to use and edit box field. Simply putting a formula in the exit trigger field appears to do nothing. What am I doing wrong?

Any suggestions what i need to do (ie do i need to staore a variable for cost and another for the Mkup % then bring these back into the sell field.

I also use Dataese database and in that an edit box allows me to simply do Qty*Cost etc (Fields) store/display the result and let the user overtype in one go. Ninox seems to be different (and as a new user) not quite got my head around it yet.

Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

7 replies

null
    • Sean
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I think what you need isn't available. If "Default value" accepted a formula instead of a number only, you would enter your formula there. I don't think "Triggers" would work unless you are just now building your table.

• Mel_Charles
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Thanks Sean :-)

in that case i will do a work around and do following

Costprice (field)

Sellprice(field)

Markup%(formula Field) and have this calc the the profit and express as percentage markup

Margin%(formula Field) and have this calc the the profit and express as percentage margin

coul dhave another formulafiled to show actual profit on the line too.

Then I'll just adjust the Sell price entry to to give me the markup% I am looking for.

Probably not as elegant but it will at least work 

unless someelse has a suggestion. 

• Sean
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Mel, You're welcome.

I think being able to use a formula as the "Default value" would be a great feature request. Ninox Team what do you think?

• Mel_Charles
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Hi Sean

I agree. I been able to do this with several other database builders ie access/dataease for years and i believe you can it with Filemaker too (but not certain).

in my world (?) it makes sense to derive the value from other fields (ie qty*price) and then on the result field field allow further edit to "overtype" the result!

• Ninox partner
    • RoSoft_Steven.1
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Mel, 

yes you can do this while adding new records in the trigger after update of the fields, but when you have existing records, they would not be updated, only when you change the value of a field. And then you have to make a decision which field you want to trigger and which one you want to update after trigger. If needed i'll post an example here, let me know if you need this.

Steven.

• Mel_Charles
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Hi Sean

Yes please that would be great :-)

• Mel_Charles
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

HI Steven

Appologies I addressed you incorrectly as Sean but I did mean you. re example :-)

Content aside

• 4 yrs agoLast active
  • 7Replies
  • 1654Views