Can a html form within a formula field pass its data to Ninox?

I see that a formula field can properly render a complete html form. Can data entered into such a form be passed to Ninox, either by using a form action submit, or by somehow directly passing its data to Ninox?

7 replies

null
    • Sean
    • 3 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I tried it some months back and couldn't figure it out. Doesn't mean it can't be done, I just moved on to other things.

I think you would have to use some Javascript to save the form data to a text file (I don't know if this can be done within Ninox) and then you could use the Ninox http() function to open the text file and after that you could parse the text.

• Sean
    • 3 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Hi Dean,

There is another option, but it's probably not as seamless as you would like. You could put your HTML in a formula field and then use the raw() function in a Ninox button, "Submit" for example, to give you the HTML from your formula field. Parse the information you want and then add it to your database.

• Choices_Software_Dean
    • 3 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Wow! That is a really creative solution. I am going to experiment with that.

There is an interesting tutorial on data binding at: http://learn.knockoutjs.com/

Top on my wish list is for Ninox to make it possible to drag editible field elements onto the print preview layout. This would make it possible for users to enter data in either of two ways: (1) by filling in a responsive form - the current approach, or (2) by filling in a what you see is what you get form (in the form print preview layout). This way a form image could be imported and then the editable fields could be precisely placed over the form. Layering is already supported in the print preview, so it seems like the hard work is already done.

• Sean
    • 3 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I have never seen that before and I've done my fair share of Javascript searches. Thanks for sharing!

• Sean
    • 3 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I think I figured out why I haven't seen it... It's an older framework (one article says it's a library not a framework) and not as popular as Angular, React or Vue these days.

• Sean
    • 3 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

This blog post gives some perspective on frameworks. The comments are pretty interesting too.

https://stackoverflow.blog/2018/01/11/brutal-lifecycle-javascript-frameworks/

• Choices_Software_Dean
    • 3 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

That is a very interesting blog post. I learned a lot by reading it. However, they are comparing apples and oranges. For example, comparing Knockoutjs to Angular is not possible. Knockoutjs is more like a tiny little subset of Angularjs. Angular is a huge development environment that has become a world unto itself. I loved Angularjs 1.0. It was simple and easy to use. Angular was a major re-write that is much more complicated (and more powerful). Even React and Vue can not be directly compared to Angular, because Angular is a full-fledged framework, while the others are libraries. It is interesting that they mentioned that the insurance industry (my vertical) tends to use Angular. I have also noticed its use by banks. Angular has become so big that it seems like it could take a team of in-house developers to just keep up with all its changes. Then we have Ninox, the ultimate in simplicity. I love it!

Content aside

• 3 yrs agoLast active
  • 7Replies
  • 1261Views