Code Snippets Manager/Organizer - Any Preferences?

I've tried a number of different workflows using apps/tools I already have to keep my Code snippets organized (Agenda, Notejoy, Trello, TextEdit -- but so far, I'm not satisfied w/any of them.) 

I'm looking at different choices and just want something fairly basic -- I don't need something with every single language that exists but something that will give me the ability to keep my snippets well organized! I use Mac/OS and iOS. 

--

I've looked at: DECS, Atom, VSCode, Snippets Lab, Quiver, and a few others I'm probably forgetting at this point :-/ There's one you can add snippets plus (Markdown) notes (but I forgot which one that was ... )

Also recommended was: Microsoft OneNote (which even though many rave about it ... it drives me crazy (for many reasons), and Evernote, which I had (and liked) for years but just got too $$. 

---

Any thoughts? Suggestions? 

Many thanks!! .. and Happy New Year all! Karen

4 replies

null
    • Sean
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Karen,

Are you wanting to organize Ninox code or some other language code? For Ninox, I try to organize my test databases by topic and put a "z" in front of the name to separate them from my working databases. I try to create new tables for subtopics, but sometimes a small test formula isn't worth creating a new table for it.

I use VS Code for learning and testing JavaScript. I'm not a professional programmer and don't use much of what the IDE is capable of, but the price is right and it is fairly easy to get started and work with. Hope that's some help.

• Nick
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Karen,

I'm using the Zoho Notebook for this purpose  It's free (an account required) and syncs with all major platforms.

https://www.zoho.com/notebook/

Happy New Year!

• Karen_Estrada
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

@Nick Thanks! I've used Zoho Notebook in the past (not for code though). It is very good, free :-) as you mentioned, and has a nice UI.  I'm assumming then it has the ability to add 'code blocks' (either via </> or ``  `` .  I still have an account so I'm going to take another look at it for snippets ... :-)

I just recently started using Notejoy because it integrates nicely with Trello. It has a free tier and the ability to add code blocks/snippets. Dropbox Paper has some nice features, but I don't like the files and folders arrangement is at all!  

---

I just need to make up my mind ... I hate disorganization ;-)  Karen

• Karen_Estrada
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Hi @Sean ... thanks for your thoughts/suggestions too. 

Mainly it would be Ninox code and JavaScript - at this stage I don't need something that is a full-fledged IDE as well. I also have a 'system' for keeping my databases organized (dBases related to tutorials; 'practice dBases w/coding; dBases-Production, etc.). I've just created a dB called 00_MyNotes and would like to put everything there vs. adding a Notes Table to each of the dBases I'm actively working on/practicing with.

I just need to figure out how to write APIs so I can open another database/dBTable/Table-View from the "MyNotes" dB. 

Unfortunately I've hit a wall with them ... which drives me crazy since it doesn't 'seem' to be such a hard thing to grasp - I'm just not 'getting' it yet. 

I haven't been able to attend one of the Ninox API webinars because my work schedule is insane during this time of the year - but I've contacted them to see if they could send me the link to the Webinar so I can view it. Eventually I should be able to join a 'live' one, which would be more beneficial for sure. 

Thanks again! Karen

Content aside

• 4 yrs agoLast active
  • 4Replies
  • 1816Views