Difference between the "Rebuild index" and "Reindex files" buttons?

Under the Options tab (beside the "Data model" tab) what is the difference between clicking the "Rebuild index" and
"Reindex files" buttons? What exactly does each do? They both bring up a dialog saying it will take some time, but there is never a progress bar or any other indication of when/if it is done. Why?

1 reply

null
    • Mel_Charles
    • 3 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Dean

I will take a stab at this- Not from a Ninox point of view but in running another database systems over many years.
    My guess that Ninox probably works on the same basis. insofar that the reindex allows the system to get rid of any holes left in the system or delas with stuck records!

Ie internally - lets says you have 3 records - called rec1, rec2 and rec3 and you delete rec2. Thus - this record is gone but it hasn't really its just no longer visible to you.

Re index would get rid of the deleted record once and for all rec3 that had an index of 3 would now have an index of 2.

I can't confirm this as unles my other software which showed you its internal index ref - Ninox does not unless it's say linked to the record ID ?

Tested all 3 options of renidex! on a play copy but can't see that it has done anything - but then my db is not broken!

Content aside

• 3 yrs agoLast active
  • 1Replies
  • 963Views