Dynamic choice field - showing Id instead of description in print view

Can anyone help please, this is driving me mad.

I have a table called 'Inspection Report', and within this is a dynamic single choice field pulling from another table called 'Mechanical Services'. 

In the inspection report it appears as it should, showing the 'Description' field e.g. "Full Service", and not the Id.

When I go to print the inspection report to pdf however, the field is showing as the Id of 22 and not saying "Full Service".

Help.

14 replies

null
    • Ninox partner
    • RoSoft_Steven.1
    • 2 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Maybe this helps: record('Mechanical Services',number('Mechanical Services')).Description

Steven

• Anna_Wenlock
    • 2 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Thanks Steven, but still no joy I'm afraid...maybe I have my tables set up incorrectly somehow.

I have emailed Ninox support to see if they can help as I have a lot of tables all communicating with one another.

• John_Halls
    • 2 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

OK after some trial and error I cane up with this

You are correct. In print view it wants to take the record number but you can update the formula in the print view as shown

Screenshot 2021-05-28 at 17.52.58

Screenshot 2021-05-28 at 17.53.16

Here my dynamic choice table is Colours and the value is Colour

Regards

John

• Sean
    • 2 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

John,

Are you suggesting that the Id must be converted to a number and then assigned to a variable instead of converting it to a number inline like Steven's solution?

• John_Halls
    • 2 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

No, I realised it can be done inline after I posted. Always the way...

• Sean
    • 2 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

😁

• Ninox partner
    • RoSoft_Steven.1
    • 2 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

☺️

• jmaci1987
    • 2 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Hello Anna. Did your email to Ninox solve your problem? I've got the same problem, and have not, to date, found a solution.

• Sean
    • 2 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

If you are using the printer icon to get to print layout mode, then you must delete the Dynamic field with the Id and replace it with a Formula field. The structure of the formula is...

record(Dynamic field source table name, number(Field name where the Dynamic field is being used)).Field name in the dynamic source table

Anna doesn't provide the field name of her Dynamic field so that's a guess...

record('Mechanical Services', number(Description)).Whatever her field name is in 'Mechanical Services'

• jmaci1987
    • 2 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I used both Prints - the icon and the drop down selection. Same result both times - the index number was printed.

I've gone back to FileMaker, which is now working on my Mac M1, so no longer have to work with Ninox, but am still interested in 'playing'. I cotinue to be frustrated when I run into a situation which happens frequently in the real world, but for which no explanation {or even mention) is given by Ninox. I suspect that most people would want to see values, as opposed to indes numbers, on a printed 'report'.

• Sean
    • 2 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I don't have a dog in this hunt and I wish you well with your relationship with FileMaker. I posted step-by-step instructions on how to print the value of a Choice (dynamic) field and if it didn't work for you that's on you.

I agree the implementation of the new dynamic fields is half-baked, but I like them for what I use them for. I also agree that the lack of communication from anyone at Ninox is frustrating. 🤷‍♂️

• Anna_Wenlock
    • 2 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Hello,

Just found this thread again because I don't seem to get any emails or anything to tell me when there has been a response to my posts...is this normal?

Still haven't resolved the issue, although I have been busy, so it got shelved temporarily;

The table name that the dynamic field pulls from is called 'Mechanical Services'

The dynamic field name itself is called 'Mechanical Service'

I am thinking that I might need to create some additional relationships between my tables, as it won't pull the data for the fields, so it mustn't be able to see them where I'm trying to access them. This is the current setup...

I am going to play around with a few options today and see if I get anywhere. Thanks everyone for your help, I really do appreciate it.

• Anna_Wenlock
    • 2 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Hello,

Just found this thread again because I don't seem to get any emails or anything to tell me when there has been a response to my posts...is this normal?

Still haven't resolved the issue, although I have been busy, so it got shelved temporarily;

The table name that the dynamic field pulls from is called 'Mechanical Services'

The dynamic field name itself is called 'Mechanical Service'

I am thinking that I might need to create some additional relationships between my tables, as it won't pull the data for the fields, so it mustn't be able to see them where I'm trying to access them. This is what I'm dealing with...

I am going to play around with a few options today and see if I get anywhere. Thanks everyone for your help, I really do appreciate it.

• Anna_Wenlock
    • 2 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Think there is a glitch...no matter which thread I post on, it puts it here. Giving up.

Content aside

• 2 yrs agoLast active
  • 14Replies
  • 1559Views