Field Binding - Global variable in memory (Browser)

For those of us from a FileMaker background looking for an equivalent to Global Fields, take a look at Binding in the field definition. There is an option to have Global variable in memory (Browser), which I think will mimic the FileMaker's Global Field option. Finding this has made my day.

4 replies

null
    • Sean
    • 3 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Hi John,

Do you know how to access or call the variable? I tried to access it by its field name and it didn't work. Btw, the record() function lets you do the same thing and it works in the Mac app.

record(TableName, RecordId).FieldName

or

let myObj := record(TableName, RecordId);

myObj.FieldName

• Sean
    • 3 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Never mind, it looks like completely UI based. The example in the blog could be better.

• John_Halls
    • 3 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Hi Sean

Thanks for the head up re the record() function.

Regards John

• Alain_Fontaine
    • 3 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

The 3.3.0 version of the iPad app has been released a few hours ago. The "Binding" option is available, but I wonder if it is fully baked yet.

One can define a field as "Global variable in memory (Browser)". "Browser", in a local App? Anyway... One can then enter a value in the GUI. The value is indeed the same in all records. One can use the field name in a formula. The global value is indeed used to evaluate the formula, but not immediately: after changing the value, one must first select another record before the new value is taken into account. Strangely, the value of either the field or of a formula using it is not modified in the tabular view. One must also know that, when the database is closed and reopened, the global field does not retain its value - which differs from what happens in FileMaker, if you come from there. Finally, trying to set the value of a global field by a formula, for example in a button, sends the App in nowhere land.

Content aside

• 3 yrs agoLast active
  • 4Replies
  • 902Views