Help with the structure of my Database

Hi :), 

I really need someone to point me in the right direction as I just realised I've been working for weeks now in the wrong direction :(... 

I am an intermediary invoicing company.

I need to send invoices on behalf of freelancers.

The issue I have at the moment with Ninox is when I need to add more than one freelancer on my invoice. I have created a Freelancer table, a client Table, an invoice table and a subtable 'Description' into my invoice table.

This way I can add as many freelancers I want on my invoice. The issue I have is when I do this I can't link the invoice itself with all the rest of the information I need to add on an Invoice (Invoice Number,Invoice date, reference, client, total to bill ..) with each of my freelancer. Meaning I can't track the invoices linked to a specific freelancer as the freelancer is only linked via the subtable and not the invoice table. I did try to link the invoice table to the freelancer table but this way I can only link it to only one freelancer.

I hope this makes sense and fingers crossed someone can point me in the right direction .... :)

7 replies

null
    • Mconneen
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

@KS..  please post an image of your data model.  You should have an invoice table (root) .. and an invoice item table (subtable of invoice)... and the reationship to Freelancer should be at the invoice item.   Then yes.. you can walk the relationship from invoice to item to freelancer .. and backward.. from freelancer to invoice item to item.   Ninox will do all that for you automatically. 

I do not do a lot of printing.. so you may need some hidden / convenience fields to assist in printing..  We can jump off that bridge if / when needed. 

• maroon_banana
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view
    • maroon_banana
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

database

• maroon_banana
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Hi Mconneen :), 

Thank you for your reply. 

This is my data model so far. When I tried to link my tab Invoice with my tab Freelance, I have a field that request to select one freelance. The issue is sometimes I have more than one freelancer on my invoice. I send an invoice for their jobs on their behalf. Instead of having items in my structure I have freelancers if that make sense :)

• Mconneen
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

@KS..   Perhaps I am not following you..   Here is my model. a bit abbreviated from yours..   Like yours.. the "Invoice Description" has the link to Freelance.. 

dataModel

And you are correct.. at the Invoice Description .. You can add one and only one Freelance 

addFreelance

But at the Invoice level.. You can add multiple Invoice Descriptions.. thus one Invoice Description line per Freelance... 

invoice

• maroon_banana
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Thank you Mconneen.

This is exactly the issue I have I can't add more than one freelancer in the invoice description. 

What I'm trying to do is to have all the invoices recorded in each freelancer profile. 

If I can only record one freelancer in the invoice description but have more freelancers on the invoice, these freelancers won't have this invoice recorded in their profiles. 

I know this is doable on Access and I thought Ninox was a kind of Access... I hope this is doable somehow...

• Mconneen
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

@KS..  

I would call the "Inovice Description" composite table "Invoice Item".  You can have multiple Invoice Items per invoice.   As the Freelance is associated with the Invoice Item (and I suspect has a rate and hours to equate to a billable amount).

Also.. The Freelancer DOES have all associted Invoices within their profile.. by navigating through the Invoice Item.   The following image shows that Freelance B is associated with two invoices. 

freeb

Content aside

• 4 yrs agoLast active
  • 7Replies
  • 1609Views