Hi I am new to Ninox and I think it's great. I have a problem though: how do I create a form where I can change the layout so it represents other fields in another layout than my other form layout. Any changes I make in form1 seem to be applied to form2 as well and if I want to remove a field from the view it seems to be deleted altogether. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi I am new to Ninox and I think it's great. I have a problem though: how do I create a form where I can change the layout so it represents other fields in another layout than my other form layout. Any changes I make in form1 seem to be applied to form2 as well and if I want to remove a field from the view it seems to be deleted altogether. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

11 replies

null
    • simon
    • 3 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Michiel, if I understand correctly, in a Table, you would like to be able to display different fields in different records?
    By default, each record in a Table will show the same fields in each form. To hide/show them only in some you will need to use make an entry in "Display field only if". For example, if you would like to show a field in the record only with Id=1 then enter this code: Id=1.

• Choices_Software_Dean
    • 3 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

In the "Edit Fields" view the vertical order of fields controls their order on forms. You can hide any field by setting its "Display field only, if" property to Null. You can drag Tabs from right to left to control the display of fields. For example, if you have 6 fields and you want 3 to appear under one Tab and 3 to appear under the other Tab, you would place the Tab after the third field.

• NBCC
    • Michiel_van_Deursen
    • 3 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Thanks Simon and Dean, I will work with your suggestions and see if it works. Much appreciated!

• NBCC
    • Michiel_van_Deursen
    • 3 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Hi Simon and Dean, I don't think I have explained my problem properly. If I create a new table I can also manually give the desired layout to the form associated with that table. If I make a 2nd form I would expect that I can layout that form different to the first form (for instance including other fields from the table than in form1 or placing fields on other locations in the view but in my case the various forms always end up exactly the same, so if I take out a particular field displayed in form1, it will also disappear in form2. I must be doing someting terribly wrong because what other reason is there to allow users to create more than 1 form? My previous system allowed me to play around with various form layouts with different fields of the same table displayed in each form but I seem to be unable to make this work in Ninox. Great if you can help! Thanks in advance

• Alain_Fontaine
    • 3 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

You are not doing anything wrong. You are looking for "Models", a concept that exists in another well-known database application, but not in Ninox. Unfortunately, Forms are not models. You can somewhat fake the functionality by defining a multiple choice field to select the desired "model", and then put conditions based on this field in the "Display field only if" boxes of the other fields. However, this poor man model system will not be able to change the order of the fields.

• NBCC
    • Michiel_van_Deursen
    • 3 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Hi Alain,

This is Anna on behalf of Michiel. We are still struggling with this issue and would like to ensure that we are all on the same page regarding understanding the problem, so that we can then try to find a solution. Would you be free next week for a zoom or phone call to discuss the matter? Thank you!

• Ninox partner
    • RoSoft_Steven.1
    • 3 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Seems you mix up the views in one table with different data-sets.

One table can only contain one form but different views.

A view is a way of presenting the same table in a different way.

A form is a neat way to input the data into the table.

All the field in the form are also in the table. Fields not on the form are invisible in the form (hidden, but still there).

Hope this helps.

Steven

• Mel_Charles
    • 3 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

A form in Ninox is the “data owning form” of the underlying table. In Nixon there is only One. What Michiel is looking for is looking for is many forms over the same underlying table - Not possible in Ninox and no idea if ther are considering it - I would wecome this as i had in in my previous software before moving to Ninox but i guess it depend on demand! It would also bring in actra complication too ie if you delete a field in say form 2 (NOT the table owing form) do you you also delete the filed in the table as this would affect the same field in form 1 etc.

• Mel_Charles
    • 3 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

The software i used a s reference above worked on tha basis that the table owing from (form1) all fields were “bound” to the table wheresas all files in (form 2) were not - you could add then or delete the from the form but they did not affect the underyling table

• simon
    • 3 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Hi Anna & Michiel

If you haven“t heard from Alain and would still like some help over zoom, I am quite flexible over the next few days and would be happy to help.

Simon

• NBCC
    • Michiel_van_Deursen
    • 3 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Hi Simon, thank you for your kind offer to help. Can I invite you to a Teams meeting or similar in the next few days and if so, can you confirm your email address at my e-mail address which is mvandeursen@nbcc.co.uk? I look forward to hearing from you. Many thanks in advance. Best regards, Michiel

Content aside

• 3 yrs agoLast active
  • 11Replies
  • 1543Views