How do I do a text calculation (e.g., First Name & " " & Last Name)

J

How do I do a text calculation (e.g., First Name & " " & Last Name)? So, if the contact's first name is "John" and his last name is "Doe", I want to  create a Full Name calculation that yields the result "John Doe" (e.g., First Name & " " & Last Name). I can do this in Filemaker and Excel... can I do it in Ninox?

Ninox Profile

The easy way..   See https://ninoxdb.de/en/manual/calculations/reference-of-functions-and-language

and search for "concat".. 

let fullName := 'First Name' + " " + 'Last Name';

I there is a concat function but that is not what you want here.. as it puts a comma space ", " in between the values. 

J

Hi,

Of course you can. The formula to enter in the Full Name field is: text(First Name) + " " + (Last Name)

or using the visual composer: as text[First Name]+" "+Last Name

John

J

That doesn't work. I get the error: ERR("Symbol expected: "")""")

Ninox Profile

Use this code:

First Name + " " + Last Name

Ninox Profile

sorry...

'First Name' + " " + 'Last Name'

J

Strange. All three work for me and the last one (with quotes) gets corrected to no quotes.

J

Okay, using 'First Name' + " " + 'Last Name' worked (John + Doe = John Doe), so then I added to it  + " " + 'Suffix' (suffix is a fields the contains endings like Jr., Sr., Esq., etc)... and my results was the error "UNDEFINED" 

Further, it removes the single quotes from 'Suffix' turning it into Suffix

Ninox Profile

Does your suffix field comes from a dropdown selection? Then you must use: text(Suffix)

J

Great! That worked. Many thanks! Is there handy-dandy quick reference guide to all of the calculation functions and their syntax?

1 2