How do I split a table?

I've got a very simple Ninox database for storing notes. There is only one table with the fields "SUBJECT" (a text field), "NOTE BODY" (a rich text field) and "PICTURE" (an image field). I've been storing all my notes in this one table but now want to organise the notes into categories with their own tables, each table having the identical structure but only containing the records relevant to that category. How do I do this simply?

I've tried duplicating the table, with the plan to rename the duplicates with my categories and then delete all the records irrelevant to that category. This failed because I was only able to duplicate the table structure and not the data.

I then tried exporting the table and a CSV file and reimporting into a new table, but I was unable to import the images back.

I've also tried simply duplicating the table structure and then copying and pasting records from the original table by click/drag selecting the fields/cells in column view but that didn't work in the way I have been able to in spreadsheets.

Any advice from someone more experiencedwould be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks.

3 replies

null
    • Mconneen
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Why separate tables?   You can accomplish something similar with a "Choice" field that lists the various categories.. then create views against those categories. 

You are right about the "duplicate" table.   It provides the structure.   If using the Mac App.. you can actually import table structure, data and attachments.. :) 

• Mathie
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Thanks Mconneen for your input.

I've given that a go and whilst that is an elegant solution technically, I end up with a series of tabs across the top of the table, each corresponding to a category. If I only had a few categories then it would be perfect. But if I have twenty or more categories, then the names of the categories in the tabs get truncated and some become invisible. So from a navigation and cognitive ergonomics perspective it's not easy to read nor use. It would suit me better to have a clean vertically orientated list of tables, each table representing a category on the left hand side of the screen which is much easier to read and also gives and extra layer of hierachy of organisation.

I'm very aware that I'm trying to radically modify the database design and a fair comment would be "You should have thought about that when you started out!"

• Mconneen
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Create a "view" that filters by your choice category 

Content aside

• 4 yrs agoLast active
  • 3Replies
  • 1218Views