How do I use a button to open a record on another table?

I'm very new to this.

I'm trying to use a button to open a record on a sub-table.  The sub-table name is "Site Info", I want it to pull up a specific record (i.e. "Dillingham").

Also, I have hundreds of entries.  Is there a better way to link a button on each entry of a table to it's relative in a sub-table?  The names listed under each column might not be identical. 

7 replies

null
    • Choices_Software_Dean
    • 3 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

You may not need a button. Are you familiar with filtering in Ninox? Try clicking on the column header of the column that contains "Dillingham", enter name in "filter" field and hit the Enter key. To remove the filter, go back and remove the "x" from the right side of the filter field. This works in both table views and sub-table views.

• kevinjchase
    • 3 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I am basically trying to install an easy link in one table of locations that links to more specific site information on another table.  Sub-Table might not be the right term.  There is a table of places we go, with information about that place, and another table about our facilities at the locations.

• Choices_Software_Dean
    • 3 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Do you already have a relation ("link") setup between your Places and Facilities tables?

• Mconneen
    • 3 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

How about this.. (hopefully you are not color blind.. :) )

A Site (red box) contains Buildings (orange boxes)

A Building contains Rooms (green boxes)

here is a snapshot of the Pepsi plant a few miles away from me..   

site

The data model would look like 

DataModel

Building B would look like

BottlingPlant

And the Main site.. with a Search filter to find a room that contains Gen (for Generation) would look like

MainSite

Click on the desired returned room.. 

room

• Mconneen
    • 3 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Here is some code you can use via a button. 

popUpRecord

• kevinjchase
    • 3 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Thank you for your responses.  I guess my understanding is too shallow to be able to accomplish this.  I tried copying your text verbatim, using my table names, but it finds an error in line 2.

My tables are City, Sites.

The problem I have with filtering is the end-users are far less tech savvy than I am (and I'm not very good at it).  I'm trying to make a simple button that directly opens the specific site entry.  It seems like automatically doing it is beyond my skill level, perhaps a manual way is easier? 

Maybe I can manually link each Site entry to its appropriate City entry (there may be 2 sites in 1 city)?  Then use a button or dropdown menu to choose the site?

This is my first venture into databases, if I'm in way over my head feel free to tell me to get help.  Thank you kindly.

• kevinjchase
    • 3 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

After playing around more, it appears as though I was stuck on the use of a Button unnecessarily.  I am having more luck using the Link to function now that I played with the options.  I prefer the look of the button for the end user, but it seems to be working now.

Content aside

• 3 yrs agoLast active
  • 7Replies
  • 2039Views