How to relate everything to everything ?

An example of what I try to achieve is:

I have table with all countries in the world and I want to mark on a scale from 1 to 10 how if they are at peace or war.

How would I do that?

Thank you

6 replies

null
    • Alain_Fontaine
    • 3 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

To clarify: do you want to record, for each country, how much it is at peace or at war with each other country? If it is the case, do you expect this relation to be symmetrical or asymmetrical?

• andxninox
    • 3 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Thank you Alain for looking into this.

All relationships should asymetrical on a scale that I select for each record manually. And I need to be change that relationship at any time.

Is this a matrix, I wonder?

1x

2-x-

3++x

x = n.a.

- = war

+ = peace

+/- can be values from 1 to 10

• Alain_Fontaine
    • 3 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

You do indeed need to represent a matrix. You already have a table containing the countries. In order to represent the asymetrical peace/war relations between the countries, a second table is needed. Each record of that table documents the state of one country with respect to another. So, there should be a numeric field to hold the value from your scale, and two table references (1:N) to the table containing the countries.
    When creating those references, they will get default names. In order to make the role of each one clear, I would suggest to rename them, for example, the first one as "This country" and the second as "Is at war with".
    Returning to the table containing the countries, you will see that two tabular views have been created, also with default names. Again, renaming those views would make their meaning more understandable. The first one, corresponding to "This country" in the relations table, means "Countries we are at war with", and the second one "Countries that are at war with us".
    Want to see this in an actual example? There is a bare bones database showing the concept here:
    https://app.box.com/s/lx6gaizzy9xuj4mm290z5pcsthg18sdt

• andxninox
    • 3 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Awsome Alain that you even included an example!

In that file, which is which?

BOM = ?

Parts = ?

• Alain_Fontaine
    • 3 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Sorry, it seems that I did not post not the right url. Try this one:

https://app.box.com/s/9yf66bccf8m3flpjhdqb6mscfmk4wag8

• andxninox
    • 3 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Now I get it!