Linking between databases

Is the ability to link between databases something we can expect to see in the future?

I anticipate our database growing quite a bit, and we have offices around the world. Because of the nature of the business, it would be ideal to have duplicates of our database for each location, then have a central database for processes that are universal throughout the company. That central database would need to be able to link to the different office databases though.

5 replies

null
    • Bas
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Hi Sarah,

Am I correct to assume that users of country X should not have access to information of country Y?

Also, should the headquarter have access to both info of X and Y?

-Bas

• SECOS Group
    • quartz_cap
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Hi Bas

Yes, and therin lies our problem. To give the example more structure:

5 offices, each with their own customers/orders etc

One factory, where products are manufactured for company stock, and customers

Executive team can see everyones information. Staff can only see their offices information and factory section.

Factory section needs to have access to everyones customers/contacts - but only people with the right permissions can click on the linked records and see the detailed information.

• Bas
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Hi Sarah,

Just to be sure; these 5 offices would still work independent? As in; they don't need to see info from each other?

You only want to make sure that Production of Office 1 has different permissions than the Executives of Office 1? Etc.

-Bas

• SECOS Group
    • quartz_cap
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Correct - offices independent of each other. Exec team can see all information by going into each database, but really thats neither here for there in the scheme of things as its just a matter of permissions.

The factory side of things is the trickier one, because it needs to be able to access all data. I imagine I could do something with the json files, and/or integromat where it can have a dump of select info in the factory database to fill out the order forms, and then use a similar system to copy info from the factory database into the individual database for more robust tracking?

It would just mean that in the factory database, when in an order form when you click on a "linked" record, it wouldn't be as robust a system because you would have limited information unless you went into the relevent office database and looked up the record (granted the person looking has the right permissions).

Thats why I'd be really hoping for a linking option between databases to get that more robust system but, I have noticed that sot of feature is very uncommon in databases :/

• Emanuel_Neubert
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Hi Sarah,

you already can do a lot with restriced views, rights and roles when you work in a single database. If you want to synchronize data between several database, you can already achive that by using Ninox's REST API. How, we explain every Monday in our Zapier Workshop.

Pls register here:

https://zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_tNnu2wwPSHWtwZQvj3egFw

Cheers Emanuel

Content aside

• 4 yrs agoLast active
  • 5Replies
  • 1732Views