Mac Version: Are dates limited by OS X Date?

A date typed in as 1 Jan 1950 appeared to be returned as 31 Dec 1969.

This suggests that OS X is limiting older dates, is that correct.

In general OS X doesn't work well with dates before 1972, and my experience in other applications suggests that dates well before that time, say 1930, 1940 are always returned as 31 Dec 1969. Hence my conclusion that older dates in Ninox might be limited by OS X.

Can anyone refute or confirm my suspicions.

Thanks

3 replies

null
    • Nick
    • 3 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

macOS High Sierra 10.13.6

Screen Shot 2020-06-08 at 08.20.19

• Dorich
    • 3 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Thx.

• birdingdoc
    • 3 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I can confirm you problem with dates being off by one day. I have encountered two date problems when moving data from various spreadsheets into Ninox on the Macintosh (with OSX 13 High Sierra).

The first problem is one which you described. When moving dates from some sources into a spreadsheet (either Numbers or Excel on a Macintosh) and then into Ninox, the procedure results in the loss of a day. I have found this problem occurs regardless of how old the date is — regardless of whether the date was seven days ago or seven decades ago.

My solution is to create a new column on the Macintosh spreadsheet which calculates a new date based on the existing date plus one day. I then paste in or import that modified date into Ninox and the proper date appears.

The second problem is that on some files, moving a date from a Macintosh spreadsheet into Ninox results in the addition of a month, provided that the month is an even number between 2 and 10. A date using the month of February becomes March, April becomes May, June becomes July, August becomes September and October becomes November. The month of December is not changed — I presume it could not change the 12th month into a 13th month. Dates with an odd month (January, March, May, etc) are imported correctly.

I have not been able to find a work-around solution to this problem as the computer cannot discern whether the date of March 1st is really March 1st or if it is actually February 1st. 

I have tried using various date formats to see if a different format would avoid either of these problems but have yet to find a solution. But yes, I can verify your experience of losing a day under certain circumstances.

Charles

Content aside

• 3 yrs agoLast active
  • 3Replies
  • 690Views