Reformatting text via a formula

Hello. Just starting with Ninox. Imported some data from a Filemaker file into 3 fields: LastName, FirstName and PhoneNumber. The formatting was inconsistent in the Name fields. I am trying to reformat the all upper case entries to a normal formatting ( Just the first letter capitalized) I have placed the formula : lower(substring(FirstName, 1, 16)) into the trigger on update field within the FirstName field options, but it does not seem to work. It works fine in a separate formula field so I am stumped (easy to do). Couls someone point out the error of my thinking? Thanks much

6 replies

null
    • Ninox partner
    • RoSoft_Steven.1
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Robert,

Use capitalize(Firstname) instead.

Steven.

• Robert.4
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Thank you very much, Steven. Still no joy, however. I entered the field and tabbed out - no change. then I entered the field, changed the name using all caps, tabbed out and still no change. Perhaps I am not understanding what "on update" means? This is on the desktop version of Ninox if that matters.

• Ninox partner
    • RoSoft_Steven.1
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Strange, i've tested it in the ipad and the web version, both are working.

Do you use the trigger after update of the field itself? 

Steven

• Robert.4
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Thank you so much, Steven. Your inclusion of the screenshot clarified it for me. I did place it in the field "trigger after update" but in a briliant display of noobiness, had not included the assign part of the code (using just capitalize (FirstName)) Although no error was displayed in the formula editor. Thank you again, Steven. For now all is good in noobiville.:^)

• UKenGB
    • 2 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Capitalize is a useful function, but I have to ask, why is it not available is the 'visual' code view? Other transformations such as 'upper' and 'lower' etc are available, but no capitalize.

It does work, so just looks like they forgot to add it to that screen. Oops.

• UKenGB
    • 2 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

"…IN the 'visual' code view. 

Extremely irritating that this forum doesn't allow one to simply edit a post to e.g. correct typos.

Content aside

• 2 yrs agoLast active
  • 6Replies
  • 1739Views