Save archive as... crashes Ninox

For privacy policy reasons, we cannot use cloud services to save/store our Ninox database.  I've been using "Save archive as..." and then "open in" to save it locally using Filr.  It's been working great so far, but recently when I try to save it either from the "Save archive as" in the database or through the My Databases screen, Ninox crashes.

It's running on a new iPad Air with 128g.  Not sure what the memory is but the database only has a few hundred records so I don't think that would be an issue.

Everything else in the database is working as expected.  If there are any other options I could use to archive/save the database without using cloud storage I'd appreciate any suggestions.

I can export the data as an Excel file but that's not an ideal solution.  I would prefer to save it as the Ninox.zip archive.  The "Export data/Ninox" option only give me the option to "Store on iCloud Drive" which doesn't help me.

Thanks

15 replies

null
    • rqe3bc
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Still need some help with this - haven't been able to save an archive since Feb.  I can export as Excel but I can't get the images without archiving the .ninox zip file.

Any suggestions on how to get the images out is appreciated.

• Jorg
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Hi, 

Did you also try the function "Export data" in the start page of the database and choose then "Ninox" from three options?

Export Database

Export Ninox database

Best, Jörg

• rqe3bc
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Yes, but I don't get just a "Save as..." option as in your screen shot for the Export data Ninox.  I get "Save to iCloud Drive" and "Cancel" as my only options for the Ninox export.

• Sean
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

The “Save as...” is available in the Mac app, but not the iPad app. I get the same option as you describe on the iPad app “Store on iCloud Drive”.

When you choose “Open in...”, it crashes before you get the list of options like “Save to Files”?

• rqe3bc
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

No.  Ninox crashes before I get the list options at both "save archive as" in the database or at the start database page.

The database file size is about 20mg.  I've done a "hard reset" of the iPad, the IOS is up to date and Ninox is the latest version.

I thought about trying to re-install Ninox but I think if I delete the app it will delete the files as well which would not be good.

• Support
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Hi, 

That is right that button in the iPad says "Store in iCloud Drive", but if you click on it you will get the possibility to save the database locally also. 

I tried that and it worked well. 

Have you checked the size of your database and the free space of your storage?

Best, Jörg

• rqe3bc
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Ninox crashes at that point as well in the app and at the database screen.  It does create copies of the database at the database screen with random letters as the name.

It crashes before giving me any options to save locally or anywhere else.

• rqe3bc
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Forgot to say that the database size is about 20mg and I have 128gig of storage - about 121gig available.

• rqe3bc
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Oops...the last .ninox database I was able to save (Feb 27) was 20 kb not mg

• Jorg
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Thanks for your information.

If you where able to save that small database it seems to me as it was a storage space issue.

Where is your database stored by the way? Locally on your iPad or in your iCloud (does it have little cloud symbol in its icon)?

Have you already tried the function "Duplicate" and save the database locally? If that is possible, das "Save archive as..." work with that database?

Best, Jörg

• rqe3bc
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Yes - it's stored locally.  We can't use a cloud service because of privacy policies.

I've tried the Duplicate/Save as with the same result.

I don't get to the screen to select an option as Ninox will crash right after "Save Archive as..."

Is there any other way of getting the images out?  I can make a "backup" using the Export Excel but it doesn't export the images I just get image names in the Excel column.

I really need to back up those images - is there any way to get them out other than the .ninox (.zip) file?

• Jorg
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Hi,

You can download them one of a time when you click on the image field / attachment menu and choose "Store on iCloud Drive".

Have already the updated Ninox to the latest version?

I have already sent you an e-mail with an invitation to a zoom meeting that we could have a look on it together. 

Best, Jörg

• rqe3bc
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I've got about 300+ images so one at a time would take a while lol.  Ninox is updated to the latest version. I'm still not having any luck with it.

Thanks

• rqe3bc
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I don't know if this is helpful or not but I tried again to "Export" with the Ninox option (not CSV or Excel), and it crashed again.

I tried checking just the Data Structure and Data options and unchecked the Files option, and it actually gave me an option to save it locally on the iPad.  I only a few default iPad folders on there (like "Pages") and it seemed to save it to that folder.  I just don't know how to get it out of the folder....

Are the "Files" options the images?  If so then maybe the images are causing the problems.  I'm using the "Signature" field and no other images.

I don't see where I can save the images one at a time.

Thanks

• rqe3bc
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I think I found the problem...I thought there were only about 300 images (default signature field) and it turns out there were over 5000.  I cleared out about half the records and the "save archive as..." is working again.

It seems as if 1500 is the breaking point, so I implemented a protocol to archive and remove records before it hits 1500.

Thanks for your help!

Content aside

• 4 yrs agoLast active
  • 15Replies
  • 4466Views