Selecting Multiple Records In A Reference Field

I'm willing to say...I need help.

I am trying to create a database to track donations made for a post-graduation party we hold each year. The Microsoft Access file (created by someone else) no longer works. I need to 1) record the donation, 2) record the donor information, and 3) apply the honorarium to the senior(s) for whom they are donating. I am new to Ninox. I have two databases trying to figure out which method works best.

Databases:

1) I have one table for the donations, one for the donors, and one for the students. They are referenced together and works great IF a donor was donating in honor of one student. However, most of the time a donor will donate for multiple students or even all of the students (100+). 

2) In the other database, I am trying to solve my problem by having a "parent table" of donation with a "child table" of donor, then a reference table of students.

MY QUESTION:

Is it possible to list all of the students (I don't mind typing them all in) in a multiple choice field on the donation or donor page, so I can simply click on all the student names for which the donation is made? Then, on the student's record on the student table, I can see all the donors who have donated for that student. I need to be able to click on a student and have all the donors who have donated for them appear in a list.

Scenario:

Mr. Smith donates $500 for the graduation party in honor of all the senior boys. Mrs. Jones donates $600 for her daughter and her daughter's ten closest friends. When I key in Mr. Smith's donation, I need to record his name, address, donation amount, and the honorarium (all the boys). It would be nice to have a drop down of all the seniors and click on the names of the boys. The donation amount then goes to the donation table to sum up later for a treasurer's report, and the donor information goes to the student's record as Mr. Smith has given in your name. (Note: The students do not need to know how much is given and we do not track how much money has been given to each kid - all money goes into one big "pot" then distributed evenly to purchase them graduation gifts off a wish list). I would repeat this process for Mrs. Jones' donation, selecting just her daughter and her friends as the honorarium. At the end of the month (or whenever), I need to run two reports: 1) A list of all the donation amounts and 2) A report to give each kid that lists everyone who donated in their name so they can write thank you notes.

If you read this far, THANK YOU for your help! I am new to Ninox and relatively new to databases in general. I've watch many of the youtube tutorial but had a hard time translating it to my scenario.

null

Content aside

• 3 yrs agoLast active
  • 366Views