Setting up my database (Beginner question)

I am a novice user. I am keeping the data base for a membership organization. Members are household consisting of either 1 individual, or households with up to three people. Each member of the household is a member of the organization.

I am not sure whether my data should be organized by household or by member.  That is, I could have one record (row) for each member (a household of three would have three separate rows) or by household, so that each household has one record regardless of the number of members in it.  The second and third members are stored in different columns of the same row.

I understand that the choice depends on how I am going to use it.  One concern is ease of sending emails to all members. If there is one record for each member, that is easy- just click on the email column and an email to all members is generated. If the 2nd and 3rd members of the household do not have their own records and aren't in that column, I can't see how to easioly include their email addresses in the mass email. Is there a way to do this?

I could go with one record for each member IF there is an easy way to link records (select one houshold member and it shows you the others).  I can't see how to do this.

2 replies

null
    • snaprovmembership
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

(replying to myself to add a point).  I know that I can create a field to give all of the members (records) in a household the same "houshold number".  That way I will at least be able to see which records are associated together. But I am looking for something more than that. I'd like to be able to actually link the records so that when I look at one I can see the others.

• blackie
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

You could create a Household table, then create a Member sub-table. That way all members have the same info, and they are linked to the household.

Check out the Subtables: The Composition Relationship section

https://ninoxdb.de/en/manual/tables/table-references-and-relations

Content aside

• 5 yrs agoLast active
  • 2Replies
  • 1607Views