Split table field into two fields

I have a table with names - fields are Id and WholeName. I have (by exporting to Excel and then importing back) created a version of the table which now has Id, FirstName & LastName. I am now trying to find a way to modify the original table with the data in the new one. I have added the two new fields and thought I could use the Update Multiple Records function, but I can't see how. Is there a way to do this? 

2 replies

null
    • Agus
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Allright, I thought of a good idea for your problem. Let me show you.

Lets say you have a single text field with the full name, divide the first and last name with a space if you haven't already.

Screen Shot 2018-06-29 at 4.20.59 PM

export the table into a csv file, then on excel, use text to columns to divide the first and last name using the space in the middle, now you should have two rows with the first and last name.

Screen Shot 2018-06-29 at 4.24.06 PMScreen Shot 2018-06-29 at 4.25.31 PMScreen Shot 2018-06-29 at 4.26.03 PM

Now going back to Ninox, keep the full name field now untill we are done. Import the new modified csv file that we just now fixed and use another field for reference to import them in the correct spot. (Id, address, etc.)

Screen Shot 2018-06-29 at 4.28.49 PM  Screen Shot 2018-06-29 at 4.29.40 PM Screen Shot 2018-06-29 at 4.29.49 PM

Now delete the full name field and begin using the two First and Last Name Fields from now on. I Hope This Helped :).

Screen Shot 2018-06-29 at 4.31.42 PM

• sjdixey
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Thank you for taking the time to give such a detailed reply! I have in fact managed to make the change internally using the built in 'split' function that I didn't know about but was suggested by Support. I was trying something like your method, but don't think I had it quite right ... if I need to do this again, will give it a try :)

Content aside

• 5 yrs agoLast active
  • 2Replies
  • 1940Views