Undo function

Hello,

Is a "undo" function available for Ninox Online?

Or how can we do if we don't want to save changes?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Have a nice day,

David W.

37 replies

null
    • David_WILLOX
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Hello,

Does someone have an answer or a tip?

Thanks for your help.

David W.

• Alexander_Koenig
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Hi, the Mac app has this feature with cmd+z.

This feature will also be rolled out to the browser version.

Best regards, Alex

• rnati
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Is this feature availabile on the brower version?

Also, Is it possible to roll back changes made by a particular user?

• Alexander_Koenig
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

No, not yet on the browser.

• fmosco
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

This is Sooooo irresponsible!

• Mconneen
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

@fmosco... it is the nature of the beast I suppose.    In last weeks English Webinar ... Birger demonstrated how to "track changes" ... I have used this technique with an "undo" button, which basically puts the record back to the requested state. 

• fmosco
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Well any database environment allows you to go back to one of many previous saved states, that's the benefit of working in a cloud environment. I was just testing something and I lost about 30 minutes of work. Not a big deal, but frustrating nevertheless. Can you revert to say, last night's backup?

• Mconneen
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

@fmosco...   Assuming you are running the cloud version ... See if the automated back up ran.. 

Click Manage backups. 

manageBackUps

And then find the name of your database.. They are in alpha order. 

manageBackUps_2

Select the desired back up.. and click Restore. 

• fmosco
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Ha! Great idea. Tried it: only available if your account is upgraded. I bought the desktop version instead...

• Mconneen
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Bummer.. Upgrade.. LOL...    Do you use Time Machine?   I wonder if you can roll back that way. 

• fmosco
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Time Machine would only work if I had a locally store DB, not on the server. Good lateral thinking though...

• Mconneen
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

When you say "server", are you referring to iCloud?   I do recall a discussion thread about where on iCloud.. Will see if I can find it. 

• Mconneen
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Looks like if you want automated back ups.. you either store them locally .. or upgrade to the Ninox Cloud which permits you to work offline as well. 

https://ninoxdb.de/en/forum/technical-help-5ab8fe445fe2b42b7dd39ee7/ninox-database-file-on-icloud-isnt-visible-and-thus-difficult-to-backup-5b6a2317b9a004668d9ea687

• fmosco
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I started with a trial of the cloud service. Works very well bt the absence of 'undo' really freaked me out, particularly at the beginning when you don't know what you're doing...  I therefore purchased the Mac version which I am now backing up to iCloud. 

Meanwhile I was trying to restore the automatic backup on the Ninox cloud version to retrieve a table, but this functionality is only enabled if you have a paid-for cloud account.

• N
    • seashell_celery
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

are we serious here - are we discussing the importance of an undo and trash before final delete feature? 

OK AS A 30 yrs Software Developer (REAL SYSTEM CODING- NOT THE SCRIPT KID STUFF) I CAN NOT BELIEVE THIS! Did nobody teach you the basics in SW-Dev?

THIS is a real bad BUG - nothing else and the fact that noone really got this fixed for years is a shame!

• fmosco
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Yup. Kiddie stuff and they won't fix it. Either a failure to communicate or something wrong with software design. In both cases, it's not good.

• Sean
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Screen Shot 2020-02-22 at 4.01.13 PM

I don't have a dog in this hunt, but I have wonder why such seasoned coders NEED to have this feature built into the software. Sure, it will be a nice feature to have when it is eventually implemented, in the mean time roll your own. You can hide the trash can and add your own "delete" button that would copy the information to an "undo" table. You can also design your database so it doesn't allow direct editing and again use a "save" button to copy the replaced information into an "undo" table. Just a suggestion.

• Mconneen
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

+1 on Sean's suggestions.. :) 

Oh.. @N.. I cut my software development teeth around 1981 on a TRS Model 80.. :)

• JGM
    • Jose_Monteiro
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Agree with Sean.

By the way, I've started programming with programmable calculaters in the mid seventies. I've had an HP41C, and have an App of this outstanding machine on my iPhone.
    In the early eighties I started working for several years on a UNIX SYSTEM V system (UNISYS 5040) with RDBMS Oracle 4, first coding, then as a system analyst, and then a bit of planning Information Systems.
    I'm not a developer but a structural engineer since 1982 and that is what I do now.
    Nevertheless I do understand what we are talking about.
    :)

• fmosco
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Forget scripts and workarounds. This is not a development platform butan end-user product. As such it should conform to the basic user interface expectations of the last 30 years...

• Sean
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

For anyone who is interested, I uploaded an "Undo Example" database to the Webinar EN 2020 team. It is currently protected because I'd like for it to be tested the way I intend for it to be used. Please attack it and let me know what you think.

• Rogers_Muldrow
    • 3 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Does control Z really still not work on Ninox?

• Mel_Charles
    • 3 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I am what you call no wher near a programmer/developer but have a vested interest in developing & maintaining a complete multiuser application for my business! (Cloud version)

Part of that business is to maintain and control contact of over 800,000 Uk business contacts so I definately want to esure I have a roll back!

What I have learned from using software of this nature is :-

1) Even with Ninox's built it auto bacup _ I ensure do another manual backup at least once a week at a set time and download it offline to my desktop archive folder

2) Restore a copy back from auto/archive regulary (For those that do not know when you repstore an app it appends the name "restore" to end of the database name, so it never directly overwrites your original app - Ninox leaves you to delete this and change the restore name to whatever you want. I rename my simply it PLAY COPY so I canu se it for testing

3) When testing new scripts that have big actions like deleting or copying whole tranches of data or some other important function I never ever do this in my LIVE version - I do it in the PLAY COPY first! (it's easy to copy scripts etc from play to live!)

With the above in mind I have yeat to encounter any great difficulty in rolling back - as Ninxo auto backs up regularty throughout the day

today so far  I have 6 autosaved backups - thats approx 1 backup per hour !

• Rogers_Muldrow
    • 3 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Not from a dev perspective, from a user persepctive. Tab works to tab horizontally through the tables, enter goes down, even SHIFT+ENTER creates a new entry. Is there really no way to undo typing into a field or undo creating an entry? (Also CTRL+Z does work when you are writing in SQL in ninox)

• Mel_Charles
    • 3 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

CTRL+Z does work whilst you are still in the field but not as soon as you have left (updated it)

Content aside

• 3 yrs agoLast active
  • 37Replies
  • 6557Views