Why can't I move these formula fields?

I'm using formula fields to display an image stored in another table, based on what is selected in the table reference popup field. The problem I'm having is that the formula fields are being forced to the far left of the form. I am unable to move them to the right at all. When I move the one with the blue image in this screenshot between the two other fields, it shows the grey box where it should end up, but as soon as I let go of the mouse button, it snaps back to the left. What am I missing here?

Screen Shot 2021-09-12 at 18.37.47

33 replies

null
    • S&S Woodsmithing
    • Jess_Spiers
    • 2 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Here are a few more screen shots to show how it is set up:

Screen Shot 2021-09-12 at 18.56.16

Screen Shot 2021-09-12 at 18.56.33

• Mel_Charles
    • 2 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

at the moment Ninox prhrammers (for some unknown reason!) only allow and image field to be on the extreme left.

Frustrating it is too! Thet are looking at it (but have been for last 2 years)

• Mel_Charles
    • 2 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

argh that should read "programmers"!

and applies either when the image field is direct placed on the form (image field) or called via a from another table via formula

• S&S Woodsmithing
    • Jess_Spiers
    • 2 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Man, that's obnoxious. This software can do some great things, but UI layout freedom is absolutely lacking with forms. You should be able to freely build the forms and other "display" type things without restriction. Especially since it's so drag-and-drop focused as it is. I guess I'll start migrating this new database I made over to Microsoft Access. I made it for fun in Ninox because Ninox is easy, but I should be able to design the form like I'm working in MS Publisher.

• S&S Woodsmithing
    • Jess_Spiers
    • 2 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

The database I made works exactly how I want, however, this limitation definitely keeps me from designing it how I want. Why on earth would I build a database for a business when I can't freely move form elements around?

• Sean
    • 2 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

There is at least one workaround. Are you using the browser version or one of the apps?

• S&S Woodsmithing
    • Jess_Spiers
    • 2 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

The Mac app, purchased from the Mac app store.

• Sean
    • 2 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Jess,

This is another CSS hack. It's the second workaround that I know of and is actually easier than the one I was thinking about when I posted earlier. You need to put this in a Formula field on all forms where you want it to be active. You can't hide the Formula field using "Display field only, if:". Instead you have to hide the label and set the background color of the Formula field to the background color of the form. Here's the code for the Formula field...

html("
    <style>
    .form .editor-file {float: none;}
    </style>
    ")

Take a look at this thread if you want more UI options, https://ninox.com/en/forum/use-cases-5abd0b9c4da2d77b6ebfa395/fonts-colors-and-borders-61285d0639e48338717bcd64

• Rafael Sanchis
      • Rafael_Sanchis
      • 4 mths ago
      • Reported - view

Hi Sean

One question. The Info / Albums is a Formula field and I like to align on vertical the other fórmulas field's (Album CD's, Albums CD's2 .........) 

Is posible?

The formula don't work for me

• Sean
      • 4 mths ago
      • Reported - view

I won’t be able to look at it until this evening 

• Rafael Sanchis
      • Rafael_Sanchis
      • 4 mths ago
      • Reported - view

👍 no problem Sean

• Sean
      • 4 mths ago
      • Reported - view

It's not looking good. I'll have to spend more time checking other options. This only partially works.

html("
      <style>
          .form .editor-html {float: left;}
      </style>
      ")

They are all Formula fields with html, correct?

• Rafael Sanchis
      • Rafael_Sanchis
      • 4 mths ago
      • Reported - view

yes Sean all are formulas 

• Sean
      • 4 mths ago
      • Reported - view

They are all Formula fields with html, correct?

I am unable to stack Formula fields with HTML vertically next to another Formula field with HTML similar to your screenshot by modifying CSS on existing Ninox classes.

I think you will have to combine those 4 formulas into a single Formula field with HTML.

• Rafael Sanchis
      • Rafael_Sanchis
      • 4 mths ago
      • Reported - view

OK Thanks for your time 👍

• Sean
      • 4 mths ago
      • Reported - view

I found an ugly solution, but it might work for you. You will need to fiddle with the top and left values in the CSS formula to make it work for your layout. I attached a simple database.

• Sean
      • 4 mths ago
      • Reported - view

I forgot to mention that you will need to change the nth-of-type numbers to match the field's position on your form. I had to add a line break as well.

I have attached an updated example.

• Rafael Sanchis
      • Rafael_Sanchis
      • 4 mths ago
      • Reported - view

• Rafael Sanchis
      • Rafael_Sanchis
      • 4 mths ago
      • Reported - view

Works but is too sensitive is difucult move field 

Thanks Sean 

• Sean
      • 4 mths ago
      • Reported - view

Yeah, it removes those elements from the document flow. No worries 

• Mel_Charles
    • 2 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Sean

I'm on thr brower version. It would be helpful to know wht the first hack is.

Jess. I agree there a few things in Ninox that they need to play catch up on. However there are so many advantages to this software that it makes the odd flaw - somewhat palatable !

Howver as Sean has shown - there are often non official workaroounds that can be employed. Thus I have learned anoher new thing today !

• Sean
    • 2 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Mel,

This version works in the context of Jess' application, but I see that it doesn't allow multiple fields to stack up beside the Image or Formula field with an image. I'm not sure why as I used similar CSS code for the Theme Helper database app. Fields are stacked to the left of the "Contact" header in the upper right of the "CSS View" tab. I'll look at it tonight.

Here is the link for the other workaround, https://ninox.com/en/forum/use-cases-5abd0b9c4da2d77b6ebfa395/photo-field-alignment-5ff9b5ecfa464c2d2a46c35f

• S&S Woodsmithing
    • Jess_Spiers
    • 2 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Thanks for the insight, both of you.

Sean, I'll give the CSS a go and see how it does. I guess I'll finally be using that CSS3 Certification I earned in University while working on my Bachelor's degree. =) 

Mel, I agree. It's such a good database app for people who don't need / want to learn the intricacies of something like MS Access aseems that it can be just as powerful with some slight annoyances. I mean, I made a database to track the paint colors and schemes for Warhammer 40k Miniatures. I'm not using it for any serious application. Even if it were, It's still a fantastic program that just needs some love in certain areas from the Devs.

• S&S Woodsmithing
    • Jess_Spiers
    • 2 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Sean,

I do remember seeing your post in the above link for photo field alignment. I remember discounting it immediately because this particular database has hundreds of individual images and didn't want to have to go through that manually for each one in each application of it.

• S&S Woodsmithing
    • Jess_Spiers
    • 2 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

At the end of the day, it still turned out pretty good for my first REAL attempt and making something in Ninox. That's a testament to how easy it is to use.

Screen Shot 2021-09-14 at 09.16.44

Screen Shot 2021-09-14 at 09.17.02

Content aside

• 4 mths agoLast active
  • 33Replies
  • 1440Views
  • 2 Following