Why does ninox allow you to create records with empty fields?

I don't understand why ninox allows you to just press the + button repeatedly, and have it generate record after record with empty fields even when those fields have been marked as required. That just does not make sense. That means users can make the most fundamental error of just "having a go" at entering a record, make a mistake, and end up just creating loads of rubbish entries!

I can't understand the logic of that. Surely a SAVE/CANCEL dialog should appear before a record is comitted to the database? 

2 replies

null
    • heliflyeruk
    • 3 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

What's the point of marking a field as Required, if the database allows a record to be generated with that field empty??? Can you explain the logic of that?

• Mel_Charles
    • 3 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Like other users its a question you might want to put directly to support@ninox.com

However this question has been raised before and just to make it worse for you unlike other databases having a required field doesn't stop you saving that record. It merely highlights the field with a warning. Not great and I suppose Ninox's logic is that they don't want to make it unnecessary harder to save records with a "save record now option"

I do agree that they could detect an totally empty record etc.... but they don't at the moment.

What i do tho is have a daily script that runs and deletes any entry that a user clicked only and is totally blank in certain areas (ie you have to watch out for date fields that you may have set to default to today etc.). Thus when a record is created I have a filed that auto fills in a flag - this field is tacked onto a admin tab on the form and my script tests for this field and to see if another key file that must be filled/selected for official records entry is also filled if not the record is deleted (actually i copiy it first to another admin table then delete it. that ay I have and audt table in case the script goes wonkly ( like after recent 3.30 update!)  

cheers

Mel

Content aside

• 3 yrs agoLast active
  • 2Replies
  • 540Views